the unreasoning power of the media

Thu Dec 16 22:55:42 EST 1999

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999 17:05:55 -0500, McMullin, Elise wrote:

>Melissa asked plaintively (okay, I made up the tone - might've been archly):

It was plaintive.  I never even knew I was *supposed* to do this!  I think I
got plenty of reading time during the day...though there were insomniac
nights when it would have been better to sit up and read, I suppose.

>> Am I the ONLY one who DIDN'T read with a flashlight after I was supposed
>> be asleep?
>>
>Yes.  Mwah ha ha!  But you can break this terrible generational cycle of
>obedient sleeping now!  With great show of inattention, leave flashlights in
>easy reach of children of reading age.  Later, much later, after it has
>disappeared, say "Huh, wonder whatever happened to that flashlight.  I'd
>better just buy another." It's a sort of don't ask, don't tell kind of thing
>- perhaps better to implement during summer vacation.  Then you can
>"discover" them when school is about to start.

Already done.  Although they've just complained that their flashlight
batteries are dead.  I think I should suggest that they use them for looking
at books...since they already stay up talking to each other for hours after
bedtime.  My mother informs me that they get it from her.  I think she's
smirking about it.

>	"Mom would holler up occasionally for me to do a chore.  So I'd
>> do the absolute bare minimum that could be construed from her request and
>> return to my reading.  Minutes later--another yell, this one more
>> specific,
>> frequently with comments on whether or not I was actively *trying* to push
>> her buttons."
>>
>	Hee hee, did you ever guess that you were learning and implementing
>a "key strategy" that defense attorneys heavily rely on?  This is a
>non-attorney opinion  :)

I always knew there was a profession out there with my name on it.  Although
I had rather supposed it would be Professional Nag.

Melissa Proffitt