Book Database

Jacob Proffitt Jacob at Proffitt.com
Thu Dec 16 19:06:45 EST 1999

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999 09:26:45 +1000, PREISIG, Kylie wrote:

>No matter what database you use you'd still have to enter the same amount of
>data.  I guess my only recommendation would be to make sure the data entry
>side of it is as friendly to your needs as possible, or to perhaps consider
>entering data into something friendlier and importing it into the final
>database.

For the technologically curious, it's currently an Access database, though
I've programmed scalability into it so it can use any valid ODBC data source
(or ADO, actually).  Frankly, the database design is completed and it is
quite complex and follows fourth normal forms (for those who understand
database design).  Which means, essentially, that it consists of multiple
tables with cross-referencing and no data redundancy (you might be
interested to know that a single books is actually three different
entities).

What I'm working on now, is the front end so that all the complexity will
work *for* us and not against us.  It's coming along okay.  It'd be a lot
further along if I didn't have to do things like work, eat, play with kids,
Christmas shop and, well, EverQuest.  Okay, I don't have to EverQuest . . .

Jacob Proffitt

For the more technologically curious, the front end is being programmed in
Delphi 6.

For those wondering, this is the kind of thing I do for a living . . .  And
yes, I am the kind of sick geek who spends all day programming to come home
and actually want to program some more.