the unreasoning power of the media

Thu Dec 16 18:19:43 EST 1999

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999 12:50:47 -0700, Jacob Proffitt wrote:

>>>Nope.  I used those to stuff under the door so no light would show . . .
>>
>>Wow, you must have been desperate.  :)
>
>Desperate?  Yeah.  I never did solve the window problem, though.  Windows
>tend to leak light *out* as well as in.  At least I was never desperate (or
>clever) enough to read in the closet.  I've always been a night-person
>trapped in a world ruled by day.  Night time was my time where I could do
>what I want.  What I wanted was to read.

Which would explain why NOW you stay up late to play computer games, right?

And, to be fair, PROGRAMMING MY NEW DATABASE.  At least I assume that's what
you are doing down there in your cave late at night.  At least it had better
be.

Hmm, that reminds me....What Jacob is currently doing, in his guise as
SuperGeek, is creating the database of my dreams to catalogue my (sorry,
OUR) books.  The sticking point at the moment is that 1500 books, while a
paltry number in terms of general collections, is daunting when it comes to
entering things like author/title/number of pages by hand, which is what it
looks like I'll be doing.  There are options for purchasing existing
databases (i.e. with 4-6 million records, from which I would choose the ones
I need) but in the first place, that's sort of overkill, and in the second,
they cost a lot more money than I'm willing to spend.

SO....

Does anyone have any bright ideas that will save me going blind over the
keyboard?  And will not require me to sell said books in order to afford the
database, a la "The Gift of the Magi"?

Melissa Proffitt