the unreasoning power of the media

McMullin, Elise emcmullin at kl.com
Thu Dec 16 17:05:55 EST 1999

Melissa asked plaintively (okay, I made up the tone - might've been archly):
> Am I the ONLY one who DIDN'T read with a flashlight after I was supposed
> be asleep?

Yes.  Mwah ha ha!  But you can break this terrible generational cycle of
obedient sleeping now!  With great show of inattention, leave flashlights in
easy reach of children of reading age.  Later, much later, after it has
disappeared, say "Huh, wonder whatever happened to that flashlight.  I'd
better just buy another." It's a sort of don't ask, don't tell kind of thing
- perhaps better to implement during summer vacation.  Then you can
"discover" them when school is about to start.

	"Mom would holler up occasionally for me to do a chore.  So I'd
> do the absolute bare minimum that could be construed from her request and
> return to my reading.  Minutes later--another yell, this one more
> specific,
> frequently with comments on whether or not I was actively *trying* to push
> her buttons."

	Hee hee, did you ever guess that you were learning and implementing
a "key strategy" that defense attorneys heavily rely on?  This is a
non-attorney opinion  :)

	Elise