Sheri Tepper, F&H (very mild spoiler)

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Thu Dec 16 07:50:30 EST 1999

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, McMullin, Elise wrote:

> Irina replied:
>
> > I couldn't even finish it. It gave me nightmares (and still makes me
> > shudder when I think about it). It was the first Sheri Tepper I read,
> > and I've never dared try another. Is the rest less pessimistic and
> > nauseating?
>
> No, it's all like that.  She's an Angry Writer!

Allow me to add my voice to those who are saying that, while Sheri
Tepper is unmistakeably an Angry Writer, they are *not* all like that.

The first Sheri Tepper *I* read is one of my favourite books, and has
been since I was a child.

When I'm in the mood for facile analogies, I like to say that reading
Tepper is like being rubbed by high-quality sandpaper; if you can get
past the unpleasantness of the experience, you can take a moment to
acknowledge the quality of the sandpaper, but it doesn't make the
experience any more pleasant.
That probably makes no sense, but it seemed profound when I first
thought of it.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."