Skiver's Guide

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Thu Dec 16 06:29:53 EST 1999

> Well, I seem to be outvoted pretty much unanimously on this. I'm still going
> to pursue a reprint arrangement separately, but lay down my objections to
> distributing photocopies. Sorry for the fuss.

Well, I'm still with you.

> As in so many legalistic things, I guess the letter of the law isn't
> appropriate here. If DWJ specifically doesn't want the book released (as
> with JD Salinger's stories), or if we were talking about a possible threat
> to author revenue, I'd still put up a fuss. But that doesn't seem to be the
> case.
>
> I notice that CHANGEOVER's copyright is to DWJ, and not the publisher. Still
> no word back from Macmillan on that one.

Hmmm.  In the UK, there are basically two copyrights.  Copyright in the text,
which belongs to the author unless assigned to a publisher or someone else, and
lasts until 70 years after the author's death; and copyright in the printed
image, which lasts for 25 years from the date of publication of the edition from
which you are making copies.  Reprinting does not renew this (although this is
not relevant here).

So if DWJ owns the copyright in the text, Macmillan now have no hold over
Changeover, and all you need is DWJ's permission and you can unpick the
stitching in the spine of your Changeover copy and run it through the
photocopier.

Philip.

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.