Sheri Tepper, F&H (very mild spoiler)

Anita Graham amgraham at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Thu Dec 16 02:57:15 EST 1999

> No, it's all like that.  She's an Angry Writer!  I still
> cringe when I think
> of certain things in the Awakeners.  I haven't re-read
> anything of hers, but
> I figure I'll eventually get around to reading most of them
> at least once.
> Just have to be in the mood.
>
> Elise

Well, yes, a lot are angry and some are very heavy handed about their
particular message (Shadow's End, for instance).

On the other hand, some are not! For those who have been put off by Beauty
(one of those I've never finished) I would recommend

Grass (I found it a very compelling reread recently - and now I remember, it
is the one where the woman decides/becomes a different race when she is
totally out of place in her own family.)
The Family Tree (not in the least bit heavy handed, a little shiver of fear
but not a lot, and delightful)
The Gate to Women's Country (seems heavy handed and anti-male, but a final
analysis shows a very fair display of the disadvantages of women's country)
I don't think I know the undersea one!
I like "The Enigma Score" also titled "After Long Silence".

Anita