the unreasoning power of the media

Thu Dec 16 02:02:53 EST 1999

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999 16:55:33 -0700, Jacob Proffitt wrote:

>>>(yup, I'd read by candle light sometimes).
>>
>>        But not under the bedclothes I hope!  <picturing tragic scenario a la
>>Jane Eyre>
>
>Nope.  I used those to stuff under the door so no light would show . . .

Wow, you must have been desperate.  :)

Am I the ONLY one who DIDN'T read with a flashlight after I was supposed to
be asleep?  But then, I used to drive my mother insane with my daytime
reading habits.  Weekends, or summer vacations, I would spend the day on my
bed reading.  Mom would holler up occasionally for me to do a chore.  So I'd
do the absolute bare minimum that could be construed from her request and
return to my reading.  Minutes later--another yell, this one more specific,
frequently with comments on whether or not I was actively *trying* to push
her buttons.

Her revenge is that I now have a daughter who does it to me.  When she
finally learns to read I plan to install an intercom system to her bedroom.
With a screamer circuit.

Melissa Proffitt