Newbie with Skiver's Guide

Sally Odgers sodgers at hotnet.net.au
Wed Dec 15 19:50:56 EST 1999

> 	this is a bummer to hear.  Don't the rights revert to the author
> after a printing or after a certain amount of time?   If they do, then
maybe
> we should write to dwj directly about Skiver's Guide and Changeover and
> eliminate the middleman. ?

If the law is the same where SKIVERS' GUIDE was pubbed, the way I read it
is this; The rights to the *text* probably reverted to DWJ, but the rights
to *that printed version* of the text probably stayed with the publishers.
The Remainder clause in (some) book contracts states that the author will
be offered the chance to buy some copies of a book at cost price *once it
has been withdrawn from general sale* and can then dispose of the copies as
s/he sees fit. However, sometimes the clause isn't there or the offer isn't
made. I really believe that *once a book is out of print and there are no
plans to reprint*,  then "pirating" copies (in that case and that case
only) is no worse than borrowing a copy from the library or from a friend.

I do *not* include books that are "a bit too expensive so why not copy
them" you note!

That's my take on the idea, wearing both my author's and reader's hats
together. You see, if you borrowed a copy of a book from your friend and
read it, then returned it, would you then feel the moral necessity to
compensate the author? Of course not! The only difference here is that
you're borrowing a *copy* of a copy - and that is to save the owner of the
original copy from the vagiaries (sp?) of the postal system and forgetful
human error!

Sallyo.

	“Can my partner be a dog?”
	 There was a brief--a very brief--pause, then Niel said; “Hello, Victoria,
how kind of you to call. Did you just refer to me as a dog? That’s a
duelling offence in some cultures. Shall we name our weapons?”
(R.O.L.)