Newbie with Skiver's Guide

Philip.Belben at pgen.com Philip.Belben at pgen.com
Wed Dec 15 12:02:15 EST 1999

> Sally gave us the inside scoop:
>>   "Any book you buy as a Remainder or even as a Reduced Special will
>> probably give the author nothing at all. The way it works in Australia is
>> most
>> authors get between 5 and 10 % of the book's recommended retail price but
>> if the book is sold at a reduced price (the reduction cut-off varies, but
>> it's usually below cost), the author gets nothing. Oh, and sometimes that
>> author gets a percentage of the "price received" instead of a percentage
>> of
>> the Recommended Retail Price. That's a curly one, because with the
>> so-called "deep discounting" that can mean very, very little..."
>

>    this is a bummer to hear.  Don't the rights revert to the author
> after a printing or after a certain amount of time?   If they do, then maybe
> we should write to dwj directly about Skiver's Guide and Changeover and
> eliminate the middleman. ?

I don't know about all countries, but I think that in the UK and USA, it is
possible for authors to assign _all_ rights to a publisher.  Publishers almost
always try for this, of course.  Most of the horror stories I've heard are in
the music industry.  Here contracts with publishers are often conditional on the
publisher getting first refusal on the author's next work, and so on...

I imagine that, where the copyright remains with an author, the publisher
usually extracts an agreement not to go elsewhere for however many years...

Philip.

by those to whom it is addressed.

confirmation.

+44 (0)2476 425474