dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #102

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 15 08:52:24 EST 1999

>From: "McMullin, Elise" <emcmullin at kl.com>
>P.s. I just can't keep up with all the interesting reply-worthy things
>everyone is saying....

ditto. and I'm really trying, too.

>From: jenwa <jhsung at MIT.EDU>
>augh!!  tell me this was before i got here in 1996, or i think i shall die
>and
>take all of HRSFA with me for not inviting MITSFS!

umm... this would have been roundabouts sept. 1996...

>and i second whomever mentioned _Good Omens_.  it is something i seriously
>believe that almost anyone who even remotely has the same taste in anything
>that
>i do should read.

Will add to my massive Amazon wishlist.

>on the topic of Skiver's Guide [and also maybe Changeover?]:
>i have to say, i would love to have a copy of it, and would be extremely
>psyched
>if there were some way to work something out with the publishers for a very
>small print run or something.

ditto again.

>From: Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at Proffitt.com>
>Our favorite line is "There'll be NO butter in HELL!"

Argh! beat me to it!! And quoted correctly, to boot!

>She also fetches (smart cat: she likes to chase those stiff hair-elastics
>or
>other things of that shape, and figured out that if she BRINGS THE THING
>BACK we will throw it repeatedly)

My grandmother's cat used to fetch. He was a big ugly bully of a tabby
tomcat who scratched her legs to ribbons and she was devoted to him, after
years of dissaproving of the degree of my devotion to my cats. He would jump
up on her lap and start eating out of her dinnerplate, and she would try to
guilt-trip him down, figuring if it worked on us it ought to work on him.
(Polish accent: "Froike'le, why are you doing this to me?") After she passed
away we tried to get him to move to our house, a few streets down in the
same neighborhood. We'd come by once a day, pick him up in our car (he
gradually stopped kicking and scratching and would hop in like a lamb),
drive him to our house, feed him in our building, and the next day he'd be
back at my grandmother's place. After a while he bullied one of the other
neighbors, also an elderly widow, into adopting him. When she too passed
away, her daughter took him with her back to her Kibbutz, too far away to
walk home. See, I could fill pages like this. Must get back on topic. Must
not stray. DWJ. DWJ. DWJ.

Max:
>There's ALWAYS been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!  I love that
>movie, and I thought they did a great job keeping close to the book.

Ack, beat me on that one too! I give up. will never reply to early digests
without reading the later ones first. But you guys just keep churning it
out, don't you?

Nat&Max:
> > I even think Terry Gilliam's BRAZIL is optimistic, in that the central
> > I liked this movie a lot... What did you think of "Time Bandits"
>?  (I liked it btw) and think Terry Gilliam is v under-rated as a director.

If you like Terry Gilliam movies (Fisher King, 12 Monkeys...) try also
"Delicatessen" and "City of Lost Children". Same feel, same aesthetics,
happy endings. and in French, but don't let that stop you.

>I think I mentioned before (long ago) that the ending made me feel sad only
>didn't know why, and then someone (Melissa?  Elise?  Someone else?  sorry
>:(
>I don't have the post  ) said something wonderful about it being because
>they
>don't get to curl up by a nice warm fire demon (or words to that effect).

That's what I wanted to post and forget - that there's something very cat
about Calcifer, don't you think?

>         Did you used to read under the bedclothes with a flashlight too?
>read the Enid Blyton school and mystery stories that way. (and my eyes have
>paid the price)
>(does EB count as former guilty pleasures?)

Yes. Moreso "Secret Seven" or "Noddy" than "The Enchanted Tree". Not that I
have ever read any of these books or god forbid enjoyed them, no, not I, of
the fine literary tastes, I've never even heard of Enid Blyton. Enid who?
(scary thing is most of the Americans on this list probably *haven't* heard
of her, despite her being one of the most prolific writers in the world.)