Newbie with Skiver's Guide

Sally Odgers sodgers at hotnet.net.au
Wed Dec 15 05:20:58 EST 1999

> I am a firm believer in letting an author get Her dues, so if the book is
> to buy your own very cheap copy if it ever gets re-printed, making sure
DWJ
> gets Hers. ;-)

Now that's a revolutionary concept, Bodil, that the Author should Get
hers...

Yeah, yeah, I'm being sarcastic here. I agree with you 100%, but I'm also
aware that there are many, many occasions when the author gets nothing from
sales of his/her books.

Any book you buy as a Remainder or even as a Reduced Special will probably
give the author nothing at all. The way it works in Australia is most
authors get between 5 and 10 % of the book's recommended retail price but
if the book is sold at a reduced price (the reduction cut-off varies, but
it's usually below cost), the author gets nothing. Oh, and sometimes that
author gets a percentage of the "price received" instead of a percentage of
the Recommended Retail Price. That's a curly one, because with the
so-called "deep discounting" that can mean very, very little...

A few years ago, some publishers took to Pulping before Remaindering (sort
of like Death before Dishonour) but I don't know how many have been able to
stick to their guns.

I've earned nothing at all on literally thousands of copies of my books...
it's par for the course. Therefore I doubt if DWJ is going to be too upset
over a few Skivers' Guides...

Sallyo.
“I’m not a hit-man, honestly. Nor do I sell infallible remedies nor even
encyclopaedias.” (Marcus Sutherland, GOLDEN LODE.)