Introductions

Tanaquil2 at aol.com Tanaquil2 at aol.com
Wed Dec 15 01:43:27 EST 1999

In a message dated 12/14/99 4:19:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
emcmullin at kl.com writes:

>>"Also love..."Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons"
>>  Haven't read the book, but forced the movie down the unwilling
> gullets of my friends and boyfriend - they loved it.  They always look so
> suspicious when I try to persuade them into new experiences of this sort.
> Why? Why?

        Hee hee!

>Anyway, now we all go around saying "I saw something Nasty in the
> woodshed" and "Nothing like a moppet for the clettering."

        There's ALWAYS been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!  I love that
movie, and I thought they did a great job keeping close to the book.

>   O to be Emma Peel in the springtime, or any time.  Or even Leila
> with the silver minidress from Dr. Who.  What wardrobe is really complete
> without a leather catsuit?

        I know I know!  ( I've grown out of all my fun clothes now though (:
It's so demoralizing.  However, Emma is growing like a weed and already fits
into some of them.  She'll be all set for the next retro craze!  I have these
nifty black velvet pants that I sometimes consider dieting for, but I can't
be bothered--a sure sign of armageddon  :o    )

>   I haven't thought about the Specials or Cabaret Voltaire in The
> Longest Time!   Shriekback's Oil and Gold is one of mine and the BF's
> standby cds though.  Favorite line: "He's on a mission from god but he don't
> know whose and he don't know why." But there are so many fun lyrics on that.

        My favorite is "My Spine is the Bassline"  but SOMEBODY stole my 45.
I was talking to my friend the other day trying to figure out what was so
appealing about the Specials (Fun Boy 3 / Colourfield) and Ian Dury and Elvis
Costello and all those guys, (oh, Squeeze too) and we figured it was because
they all sing story songs (XTC is another band that comes to mind.)  Well,
that and they're just plain fun to dance to!  I found a site the other day
called Net Radio where you can listen to music by category as you surf, no
interruptions but for the odd ad for CDPoint.  I go there when I'm feeling
homesick for England:

    http://www.netradio.com

It's a ton of stuff: opera, ska, country and western, comedy, 1980's, 1940's
stuff.  All on different channels.  Worth a visit.  The new wave channel
plays blocks of alternating US / UK stuff, even Cabaret Voltaire.  But no
Shriekback that I've heard yet. :(  Never mind!  I can just go listen to it
on vinyl!  <gets out of rocking chair and creaks across to the stove for a
glass of warm milk before firing up that turntable>

> Drunk with the power of broadcasting the music of my choice
> out to, say, 10 or 15 square miles of rural mid-Ohio.  10 or 15 square miles
> of die hard classic rock and country fans, but I never let the odds
> interfere with my noble destiny.

        <rolling on the floor laughing myself sick!>

        The first year I did the show with a friend, and we'd come in at
midnight on Saturday night, merge both our two-hour time slots, which took us
to 4 am, then stay on until 6 am because no one wanted the 4-6.  It was so
fun.  I am particularly proud of our crowning achievement of the guy who
stayed up all night to listen and then called to tell us that 'now he could
go to bed.'  The other (weird) moment was when my friend went to Amsterdam
and bumped into someone who used to listen when they were in our area.  That
was kind of strange.  But I believe they may be our only two confirmed
listeners!  (oh, I forgot about the guy who killed himself because we played
"Amplifier" by the dB's)

Nat wrote:

>"Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals, everybody happy 'til the dead
>come home
>Big black nemesis, parthanogenesis, no-one move a muscle while the dead come
>home"
>Do you have their "Go Bang?" I'm fond of the title song - almost have it
>learnt.

            yesyesyes!  saw them at UMass ever and ever so long ago, and they
were gooood!  the only people who could get away with putting parthenogenesis
in a song!!!  (still don't know what it means though,  keep meaning to look
it up)

Elise wrote:
    Guilty Confessions
>Prairie Home Companion....and Car Talk.