On optimism

Nat Case hedberg at vermontel.net
Tue Dec 14 23:37:19 EST 1999

from the Maureen Kincaid Speller interview with DWJ, BSFA meeting 6/97,
taken from the DWJ fanzine at:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/2162/lives/interview.html :

Question: Do you have a very optimistic world view? Your books do have a
       happy ending one way or another.

Well, not altogether! But I don't think that books actually reflect life. I
think books are a
blueprint for what life should be, and what your mind should do when you're
working towards
living. And it seems to me that a happy ending is essential to aim for. If
you're going to set out
into life or any venture and not think you can succeed, you might as well
stop! It is very, very
important, particularly with younger people, that you should never really
think that life is a
bitch. I mean everybody knows that life can be a bitch, but books,
particularly fantasy books,
are not about what life is, but what life should be, could be, can be, and
the way you look
towards what you might be doing next. It seems to me that the function of
books like that is to
lift you from the despair that your actual experience might well cause you.