dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #99

Tue Dec 14 23:14:19 EST 1999

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999 01:58:20 PST, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:
>Philip AGAIN: > Dog people and cat people.
>
>I've never liked this distinction, because I've always loved both cats and
>dogs, and get offended by the reasons people give for not liking either.

See, I think of it as more having an affinity for one more than the other.
I don't hate dogs, but I don't really get attached to them easily.  I like
that cats are independent.  And you're right about cats and devotion:  I
have this one cat, Velvet--already a rarity for being a female orange tabby,
but she's also extremely sensitive to our emotional states.  It's uncanny,
because if someone is crying (usually a child) she will come up and start
purring and rubbing about their legs or climbing onto a lap or something.
She also fetches (smart cat: she likes to chase those stiff hair-elastics or
other things of that shape, and figured out that if she BRINGS THE THING
BACK we will throw it repeatedly) and thinks I am her mother, since we
adopted her when she was only about six weeks old.  She used to try to
suckle on my earlobe, poor baby.  And yet around strangers she's a complete
maniac, hissing and striking out.  Cats are just STRANGE.  And that's why I
like them.

Melissa Proffitt