Introductions

McMullin, Elise emcmullin at kl.com
Tue Dec 14 18:17:04 EST 1999

> > I haven't thought about the Specials or Cabaret Voltaire in The
> >Longest Time!   Shriekback's Oil and Gold is one of mine and the BF's
> >standby cds though.  Favorite line: "He's on a mission from god but he
> don't
> >know whose and he don't know why." But there are so many fun lyrics on
> that.
>
> "Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals, everybody happy 'til the dead
> come home
> Big black nemesis, parthanogenesis, no-one move a muscle while the dead
> come
> home"
>
> Do you have their "Go Bang?" I'm fond of the title song - almost have it
> learnt.

How excellent!  If you can learn those words, no feat of memorization could
be barred to you.  And the one you are quoting, is it Nemesis or Big Black
Nemesis? - oh, it's just classic, a great song.  But how can I mention that
without citing to Everything That Rises Must Converge or Hammerheads?  I'm
going to have to listen to it tonight.  Any band that would name a song
Coelecanth was a band for me, I always knew.

> > "Was a DJ on the college radio station, and had a show called 'Plan
> >9!' after the movie 'Plan 9 From Outer Space.'"
> >
> > Me too!  Drunk with the power of broadcasting the music of my choice
> >out to, say, 10 or 15 square miles of rural mid-Ohio.  10 or 15 square
> miles
> >of die hard classic rock and country fans, but I never let the odds
> >interfere with my noble destiny.
>
> Oh Lord, another one. I've even been thinking about trying to get involved
> with KFAI in Minneapolis when I get back there. I've been having way too
> much fun making mix tapes the last few months.

	imo - I think you should - especially knowing how fun it was!
Someday I'll do it again.  My friend's dad is about 70 now and has been a
jazz aficionado since his teens - now he has a radio show at the local
college - full circle since his undergrad d.j. days and loving it.

	Elise
	"God save hammerheads, bold and resolute
	Not too clever, but sure about some things.
	Yes! Yes! Hammerheads, bright and dangerous -
	marching, balancing and in too far to go back."
	-Shriekback o' course

P.s. I just can't keep up with all the interesting reply-worthy things
everyone is saying....