dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #99

Tanaquil2 at aol.com Tanaquil2 at aol.com
Tue Dec 14 13:12:37 EST 1999

In a message dated 12/14/99 5:02:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,
abhillel at hotmail.com writes:

>I liked, but did not love, both "Guards Guards" and "Soul Music". Barely
>remember them now at all.

        Did you ever read "Good Omens" that he wrote with Neil Gaiman?  You
might like that...?  My favorite Pratchett characters (or at least the two
that really stick in my mind) are Death, and Gaspode the Wonder Dog.  I loved
the idea of Death needing a vacation.

>he WAS
>there, and he was HILARIOUS. Funnier in person than his books are, even,
>because there's something self-effacing about him that is very endearing in
>combination with the non-stop wit.

        Oh, I'm so glad to hear this.  I always dread that writers,
musicians, actors, will turn out to be obnoxious.  It's one of the reasons I
seldom if ever think 'I'd like to meet so and so.'  It would be too horrible
if they turned out to be a pain, and I couldn't really look at their work the
same way again.  Plus I'd feel awkward and uncomfortable because there'd be
this false sense of intimacy: on the one hand you'd feel like you know them
because there's this surface sense of familiarity, but on the other,
underneath there'd be this powerful feeling that this person is a complete
stranger and you really don't know them at all.  Too murky for me, and I
don't do murk very well.

>This was the cat, of
>course. By now she is no longer as terrified of the dog, but my boyfriend
>lives in terror that she will beat chew and scratch up the dog. And rightly
>so.

        True.  When Emma's kitten (Lilly) first met our dog (Sophie), she ran
up the curtains and sat on the rod and wouldn't come down.  Now, however, she
hides under tablecloths biding her time, and when Sophie walks past on her
way to a comfortable nap, or maybe a pleasant chew on her bone, Lilly leaps
out at her in the physical equivalent of "AHA!" and Sophie has a heart
attack.  She is not the same dog she used to be, despite the fact that she is
vocally territorial when it comes to other dogs, and she's about five times
taller than Lilly.  There's always a very distinct impression afterwards of
Lilly buffing her claws on her sleeve.  She's absolutely in love with my
husband's cat Fyo who is a sort of James Bond cat.  (Sean Connery of course)
He even looks like he's wearing a tux.  He's always on his guard against the
scheming orange cat next door who wants to--dare I say it?--rule the world.
        I like dogs in the particular (specific dogs I've met) but I love all
cats, their personalities, their sense of humor, their loyalty, their
independence, and the way they get embarassed if they don't quite make a jump
they were trying for.  Cats are cool!

Max (cat person)