Introductions

Philip.Belben at pgen.com Philip.Belben at pgen.com
Tue Dec 14 07:05:50 EST 1999

Irina, who seems to have more in common with me than I thought :-) :

>> I have found that a lot of authors I like seem to be cat people.
>> DWJ, Heinlein, Firtz Leiber and Tanith Lee all spring to mind. The
>> exception seems to be Georgette Heyer, who is definitely a dog
>> person.
>
> Well, I like DWJ (obviously) and Leiber, ambigious about Tanith Lee
> (like her kids' stories, but the adult stuff is too dark for me), I

I don't like her dark stuff either.  Her kids' stuff is good, and a few adult
novels stand out like beacons for me (see earlier post).  The darkest thing of
hers I actually, actively like is probably _Companions on the Road_.

> don't like Heinlein any more (used to when I was a teenager, what
> happened is probably that I realized that his politics and morality
> are very different from mine)

I have that problem too, but some of his books still make very enjoyable
reading.  I have heard it said that some of his politics and morality, as
expressed in the books, was a parody, but for me the caricature is too accurate
to be effective...

>                               and I don't read Georgette Heyer on
> principle because it was my mother's favourite (non-trivial

That put me off GH for years.  Started reading when I found that a girl I knew
(and wanted to know better) read them, and have never stopped...

>> Anyway, Dogsbody stands alone somewhat as DWJ's only animal story.
>> Animal stories are not a genre I particularly like, but this one is
>> really good.
>
> That's probably it; I've never been a fan of what Tolkien calls
> Beast-fable either. Especially not dressed-up animals (that is,
> people dressed up as animals) but _Dogsbody_ isn't that at all,
> fortunately (I'd think much less of DWJ if she wrote that). Anyway,
> I didn't even like _Watership Down_ much.

People dressed up as animals?  If you mean human characters that just happen to
be playing animal shapes (can't think of a better word) in the narrative, I
agree with you.  Classic example of this would be Kenneth Grahame (?SP), _The
Wind in the Willows_.  Only EH Shepard's illustrations (sorry, can't remember
that spelling either) made it bearable.

[People without TV sets]

> Same reason here, down to the considerable cost. Have you also had
> the question "then what do you *do* in the evenings?" :-)

YES!  Given that we're both on this list, I imagine we give the same answer...

[People without cars]

I will confess, I have three-and-a-half cars, of which only one works.  I use it
to go to work.  When I go shopping in Coalville I almost always walk.
Conversation as follows:

Chance-met acquaintance:  Where have you parked?
Me:  At home.

Increduilty the inevitable reaction.

(When I go shopping in Leicester I confess I drive - the bus is not
significantly cheaper but is significantly less flexible).

>> Sounds my sort of thing...
>
> Philip, are you sure we're not secretly twins? :-)

I suspect I am significantly younger :-)

by those to whom it is addressed.

confirmation.

+44 (0)2476 425474