dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #99

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 14 04:58:20 EST 1999

Philip wrote:
>I also have difficulty storing the books....

Do you have them all in double rows yet? Shelves in the kitchen and
bathroom? I recently aquired two new bookcases, so the problem has been
temporarily relieved. But I don't know what will happen if my mother ever
insists that I clear out all my books from my old room in Jerusalem, or for
that matter, adding in my boyfriend's books when we move in together soon...
(his primary reading language is Hebrew, so we don't have that many doubles,
either...)

Courtney and Philip:
>The Princess and the Goblin is (I think) by George MacDonald.  The sequel
>is
>called "The Princess and Curdie".

Right on both calls. I very recently brought up both books, and mentioned
liking the first more than the second, which scared me, because it was
apocalyptical, like "The Last Battle". Not to sound paranoid, but could it
be that some people don't read my posts because they are mailed as a
response to the digest, thus don't get tacked on to a particular thread?

Philip again:
>Gosh!  That would be like me coming out and admitting I've never read a
>Terry Pratchett novel!

I liked, but did not love, both "Guards Guards" and "Soul Music". Barely
remember them now at all.

When I first got to Harvard and there was this sort of introductory fair for
new students, I rashly signed up to all the clubs that even minorly
interested me on campus, giddy with the brand-new concept of campus life
which doesn't really exist in Israeli Universities (at least, the two I
attended...) and then of course for a week was pestered by these various
clubs to come to their introductory meetings, which in many cases I had very
little inclination to do. Horrible me. Getting to the point, the HRSF club
(Harvard-Radcliffe Science Fiction) sent repeated emails, and at some point
late in the week started tempting people to come because Terry Pratchett
would be at the first meeting. I found this very hard to believe - thought
they were bluffing just to get people to come. But it worked, and he WAS
there, and he was HILARIOUS. Funnier in person than his books are, even,
because there's something self-effacing about him that is very endearing in
combination with the non-stop wit. Anyway, I'm a fan without even reading
that many of his books... (Still, I never attended another HRSF meeting. Got
too caught up with campus theatre.)

Philip AGAIN: > Dog people and cat people.

I've never liked this distinction, because I've always loved both cats and
dogs, and get offended by the reasons people give for not liking either. And
yet it's a distinction I make myself, as recently, in my introduction,
mentioning that one of the reasons I like DWJ is because of her great cats.
So many authors either tend to villify cats, or write cat characters that
just don't ring true, as if they're never really known a cat in their lives.
Wheareas many of Diana's cats, like Throgmorton, Benvenuto (sp?), Fiddle,
are not only loveable but *faithful*, despite having the worst of cat
qualities as far as being spoiled, vain, self-absorbed, and in the case of
these three cats, ugly. In short, they are neither stereotypical nor
unbelievable as cat characters. Which has been my experience with my cats as
well. They are perfectly capable of utter devotion despite their vanity and
selfishness ("Oh yes, granted, books make a *lovely* swishy sound when you
turn the pages, but how could you be paying such rapt attention to anything
else when *I* am obviously the most interesting thing in this room by
far...)

The dog cat issue is also currently the biggest holdup keeping aformentioned
boyfriend from moving to aformentioned house with me. He has a dog, I have a
cat. Our first attempt to introduce the two of them brought me to the
emergency room - I needed six stitches in my lip. This was the cat, of
course. By now she is no longer as terrified of the dog, but my boyfriend
lives in terror that she will beat chew and scratch up the dog. And rightly
so.

Hi Joyce! I'm glad it *is* you. I would have given a much warmer greeting
had I realised this before... :-)

Deborah this time, though I could have answered Philip on the same topic:
>Come on, someone on the Diana Wynne Jones list has to admit to
>  being a huge soap opera fan, who reads DWJ books between monster
>  track rallies and makeovers.

Noops, not I. Sorry. I get one & 1/2 (very fuzzy) channels on my T.V. but
never turn it on, because I'm too aware of my potential for staring for
hours the screen like a zombie, bored out of my wits but unable to stop.
Boyfriend, however, has cable, but we're trying to be selective. We tape ER
and Friends to watch when we have time, will (rarely) indulge in a Xena or
Buffy, and news. We can't not watch news, we're Israeli. We need regular
doses of news or we get nuts. I discovered this about myself after two years
in the states, where even the best radio news on NPR didn't get updated
nearly often enough for me. Now that I work where I'm expected to be up on
the latest out of Reuters and AP, I'm probably even worse.

I just killed well over an hour on this post. Back to work...

Gili