introduction

Tue Dec 14 01:59:50 EST 1999

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999 00:38:51 -0500 (EST), jessie wrote:

>I guess I could rouse myself momentarily from the depths, especially now
>that I've been mentioned by name (twice!).

I was actually wondering if you were still around, and if that would
possibly rouse you. :)  Hi again!

>I have been spectating somewhat intermittently while you all have been
>talking about optimism in DWJ.  I don't find 'optimism' to be quite the
>right term; what I see, and what I think other people are seeing, is an
>intense understanding of (and appreciation for) humanity.  All of DWJ's
>characters are deeply fundamentally *human*, which is a big thing that
>distinguishes her from most other {fantasy/kidlit} authors.

I think what I've been saying is that I see this same appreciation for
humanity in Susan Cooper's work, and yet the two authors have a
fundamentally different approach.  The way DWJ sees humanity is apparently
one of the primary factors that makes her work appeal to a large number of
list subscribers--if I may generalize in this case.  And yet I don't think
it's the only way an author can realistically and sympathetically portray
humanity...hence the further refinement of terms.  I find her portrayal of
humanity to be optimistic--positive--possibly some other word that I can't
think of at the moment.

Melissa Proffitt