authors' autobiog. (Was Long time, no see).

Sally Odgers sodgers at hotnet.net.au
Mon Dec 13 18:37:29 EST 1999

>  Regarding Dahl, Max said:
> 	"Anyway, I read his autobiography "Boy" and it was a
> > real eye-opener and explained a lot.  I have a quote from "Boy" that I
can

I upset a whole class of children once... they asked me my opinion of Dahl
and I gave it. They were shocked. They told me it was All True because
they'd read his autobiography (or else talked to a friend whose friend had
read it...). They told me Dahl had had a terrible childhood. I asked them
who said so? And they said It Was In The Book.

Then I asked them what Dahl wrote for a living......

Their faces!

It was very mean of me, but I've never really trusted autobiographies of
fiction writers. Being one myself, I know how their minds work... they (we)
seize on a small woe and amplify it. Goodness, the average 10 y-o does it
very well. Have you ever tried to get to the bottom of *exactly* what was
said/done/implied to start a fight between kids? There's so much strike and
counter strike and it usually turns out to have been a mild comment or
nasty expression or even a slight humming noise that touched off WW3.

And the Injustices!  As one author put it rather trenchently; "It was *so*
injust! You weren't allowed to go camping with the campus drug-pusher and
his friends..."

Authors' minds work like that. I assure you! I'm not denying some people
have horrible childhoods, but I'd take any authorial autobiog with a little
pinch of salt...

Sallyo. (cowering behind the abrricades because all you lot will throw
bombs at me!)
“What, no Spode spades? No Queen Anne beerbelly chairs?”
Tad Ashendon, NIGHT MUST ALWAYS COME.