Introductions

Amanda Farrell geminii at dial.pipex.com
Mon Dec 13 17:18:52 EST 1999

Something caught my eye in Philip's email earlier, probably because of what I'd been reading today. He wrote:

Anyway Dogsbody stands alone somewhat as DWJ's only animal story.  Animal
stories are not a genre I particularly like, but this one is really good.  I'm
hoping after Dark Lord (Griffins! Dragons!) that another story with a non-human
protagonist will be appearing soon....

Not true! In her anthology Hidden Turnings/Seeing is Believing (US - bought it for the story "Enna Hittims" which we didn't get in UK!) DWJ has a story "What the Cat Told Me". This is written froim the cat's point of view, and whilst not novel length, is definitely another animal story!

I'd also like to mention the name of Robert Westall here. Philip was talking about the sort of fiction "cat people" write, and Westall, another of my favourite authors, fitsvery definitely into this category.Lots of his fiction is about cats, and has a cat as narrator. Well worth reading!

Amanda