Introductions

Irina Rempt ira at rempt.xs4all.nl
Mon Dec 13 16:05:16 EST 1999

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999 Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk wrote:

> I have found that a lot of authors I like seem to be cat people.
> DWJ, Heinlein, Firtz Leiber and Tanith Lee all spring to mind. The
> exception seems to be Georgette Heyer, who is definitely a dog
> person.

Well, I like DWJ (obviously) and Leiber, ambigious about Tanith Lee
(like her kids' stories, but the adult stuff is too dark for me), I
don't like Heinlein any more (used to when I was a teenager, what
happened is probably that I realized that his politics and morality
are very different from mine) and I don't read Georgette Heyer on
principle because it was my mother's favourite (non-trivial
explanation on request; trivial explanation is that I'm afraid to
turn into her).

> Is there a pattern here?  Do cat people write (or read) speculative
> fiction while dog people write in other genres?

To say that I think they do would mark me as prejudiced, wouldn't it?
:-)

> Anyway, Dogsbody stands alone somewhat as DWJ's only animal story.
> Animal stories are not a genre I particularly like, but this one is
> really good.

That's probably it; I've never been a fan of what Tolkien calls
Beast-fable either. Especially not dressed-up animals (that is,
people dressed up as animals) but _Dogsbody_ isn't that at all,
fortunately (I'd think much less of DWJ if she wrote that). Anyway,
I didn't even like _Watership Down_ much.

> I'm hoping after Dark Lord (Griffins! Dragons!) that
> another story with a non-human protagonist will be appearing
> soon....

I haven't read it yet :-( Next time we order books I'll see if I can
afford the hardback.

> Hooray!  Another of our number comes out of the closet!
>
> I get strange looks for saying I'm a Christian, and stranger ones
> for saying I collect old computers, but the strangest looks I get
> are always when I say I don't have a TV. And people are
> flabbergasted when I say I got rid of the TV [must be nearly 8]
> years ago because there was nothing worth watching on it. I found I
> was watching it for about 1 hour a month, and that didn't justify
> the (in the UK considerable) cost of keeping a TV set.

Same reason here, down to the considerable cost. Have you also had
the question "then what do you *do* in the evenings?" :-)

We don't have a car either, which is every bit as strange in the eyes
of some people. I got into an argument with a man in the supermarket
(I don't remember how it started, probably because he was reading a
headline in the paper about petrol prices going up and commenting on
that) who *insisted* that we *do* use cars, only we're too lazy or
too miserly to have our own, "every time you need a car you ask the
neighbours to drive you!". He couldn't believe that we don't, only
very occasionally use a taxi to go to the hospital or things like
that. It's not all principle: Boudewijn's eyes are too bad to drive,
mine are extremely good (180% and 150% of normal, according to my
latest general checkup) but don't work together properly so I can't
judge distance, and anyway both of us hate it.

> Sounds my sort of thing...

Philip, are you sure we're not secretly twins? :-)

   Irina

irina at rempt.xs4all.nl (myself) - http://valdyas.conlang.org (Valdyas)
        http://www.xs4all.nl/~bsarempt/irina/index.html (home)