Introductions

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Mon Dec 13 11:33:22 EST 1999

This is the third introduction I've replied to today, so something must be
wrong.  However Irina has said things that I cannot leave without comment, so:

>             Least favourite is _Dogsbody_, but I don't have much
> affinity with dogs.

That's an interesting comment.  Heinlein (in _The Door into Summer_, I think)
divides people into two sorts:  Dog people and cat people.

I have found that a lot of authors I like seem to be cat people.  DWJ, Heinlein,
Firtz Leiber and Tanith Lee all spring to mind.  The exception seems to be
Georgette Heyer, who is definitely a dog person.

Is there a pattern here?  Do cat people write (or read) speculative fiction
while dog people write in other genres?

Anyway, I am a cat person myself, and I really liked Dogsbody.  Perhaps because
there are cats as major characters as well as the dogs, perhaps because my
parents are dog people and some of it rubbed off on me (like the dog's hair!)

Anyway, Dogsbody stands alone somewhat as DWJ's only animal story.  Animal
stories are not a genre I particularly like, but this one is really good.  I'm
hoping after Dark Lord (Griffins! Dragons!) that another story with a non-human
protagonist will be appearing soon....

> I don't have a favourite TV show - no TV! It used to be Star Trek

Hooray!  Another of our number comes out of the closet!

I get strange looks for saying I'm a Christian, and stranger ones for saying I
collect old computers, but the strangest looks I get are always when I say I
don't have a TV.  And people are flabbergasted when I say I got rid of the TV
[must be nearly 8] years ago because there was nothing worth watching on it.  I
found I was watching it for about 1 hour a month, and that didn't justify the
(in the UK considerable) cost of keeping a TV set.

> My main vices: NetHack and chocolate with nuts in. Preferably in
> combination :-)

Sounds my sort of thing...

Philip.

the system manager.