Introduction

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Mon Dec 13 08:52:32 EST 1999

Courtney wrote:

> Now that I have finally caught up with all of my mail, I will take a
> turn. :)
>
> My name's Courtney, and I'm a computer addict- oh, sorry, wrong
> intro. :P  Let's try again.

What a pity.  Just when it was starting to get interesting :-)

> I'm a 20-yr-old who likes to call herself a college student, even

I probably owe you an apology.  I had been assuming on the basis of your first
name that you must be male.  How embarrassing!  (Probably because I recently
read _The Nonesuch_ by Georgette Heyer - in which a minor (male) character is
called, I think, Courtenay Underhill)

[School experience]

I never had it that bad, but my aunt ******** is said to have been caught, while
a junior, reading books in the senior library.  She was marched to the
headmistress, who asked her why she had done this.  She replied something along
the lines of "Have you tried reading any of the books we've got in the junior
library?".  I take my hat off to that headmistress - instead of just caning
******** for rudeness etc., she went to the junior library and tried reading
some of the books.  Shortly afterward, ******** received official permission to
use the senior library...

******** ****** is now a quite well-respected author in the literary world -
though not having written a bestseller means she is still living close to the
breadline :-(

I merely had (1) a ticket that entitled me to one book at a time, (2) an English
teacher who insisted that it be used for books he considered worthwhile for us
to study and (3) the same English teacher having a complete, unshakeable
prejudice (and he admitted that's what it was) against science fiction.  So, no
SF in the school library at all, and if I wanted to read "Music since the First
World War" or "We Built Our Own Computers" I had to sit in the library and read
them there.  Guess where I spent all my free time ... until the school acquired
a computer....

> apparently a fourth grader who loved Tolkein did not, a year later,
> find Ivanhoe even remotely interesting (although I did love A Girl of
> the Limberlost and a book that I think was called The Princess and the
> Goblin, and whatever its sequel was).

The Princess and the Goblin is (I think) by George MacDonald.  The sequel is
called "The Princess and Curdie".  We had the Puffin edition at home - lovely
covers, possibly lovely illustrations within, I can't remember.  Reading a few
years ago, I didn't find the story really much out of the ordinary, but I can
imagine it must have been a breath of fresh air to you at that stage...

But what, pray, is "A Girl of the Limberlost"?  Sounds well intriguing.

[...]

> My favorite DWJs are Fire and Hemlock, Archer's Goon, Howl's Moving
> Castle, Deep Secret, and Magicians of Caprona, not necessarily in that
> order.  I have just bought a whole passel of her books and other rare
> books I've been looking for online, and am hoarding them carefully. :)
> I feel like a dragon in a cave keeping her gold warm... :P

<spoiler>
And, just like the dragons in Dark Lord, you'll suffer from a serious
defficiency disease if deprived of your hoard.  Like it!
</spoiler>

> nearly nonstop.  I have never read a Harry Potter book. :P

Gosh!  That would be like me coming out and admitting I've never read a Terry
Pratchett novel!

Philip.

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.