Introductions

Tanaquil2 at aol.com Tanaquil2 at aol.com
Sat Dec 11 22:09:06 EST 1999

Can't find that original newbie introduction post on my hard drive, so I
guess I'll have to do some work after all.... Here goes.

I'm 35, married to a social worker/psychotherapist/cutie/writer, named Mark,
and mother of a 9 year old absolute sweetie/writer, called Emma.

Born in London in 1964.  Grew up in London, Athens, Lagos, and London again.
Went to boarding school in Buckinghamshire (High Wycombe)  from age 12-18,
which is probably why I am now such a staunch homeschooler and don't travel
much.  Live in Western Massachusetts, home of Fall Foliage, snow (what a
shock), and the Five Colleges.  Met my husband here, back in 1986, but after
school (armed with lucrative English degrees) we moved: first to Boston, then
Cape Cod where Emma was born, then Manhattan (talk about a change of scene),
then made the mistake of visiting Western Mass one Fall, and asking 'Geez,
Why'd we ever leave?'  So here we are (since 1993-ish). In the words of Bill
Nye the Science Guy, it's Not That Bad.

The First DWJ I read was "The Ogre Downstairs."  My favorites are "Fire and
Hemlock," "Howl's Moving Castle,"  "Charmed Life," "Archer's Goon," "Witch
Week,"
"Hexwood," and "The Magicians of Caprona."

Also love "The Silver Metal Lover" by Tanith Lee, "Cold Comfort Farm by
Stella Gibbons, "Dreamhouse" by Alison Habens, "Tam Lin" by Pamela Dean,
"Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia McKillip, Emma Bull and Will Shetterly,
Angela Carter, Sheri S Tepper, Steven Brust, Gene Wolfe, Terry Pratchett, Tad
Williams, Robert Westall, Leon Garfield and Joan Aiken, Russell Hoban, Jane
Gardam, Jane Austen, Dorothy L Sayers, Georgette Heyer, some Mary Stewart,
"Celine" by Brock Cole.

Like old movies, cult tv like Doctor Who, The Prisoner, The Man From Uncle,
and The Avengers. Captain Scarlet used to be my favorite show when I was
small (wonder what I would think of it now though). Wish I could sing like
Ella Fitzgerald. Write compulsively to make up for the fact that I am
extremely shy and don't actually like talking.  Love dancing though.  Like
all sorts of music; everything from Marc Bolan and David Bowie, to the
Specials and Ian Dury, to Cabaret Voltaire and Shriekback, to Frank Sinatra,
Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby and Ella, to Mozart and Puccini.  Was a DJ on the
college radio station, and had a show called 'Plan 9!' after the movie 'Plan
9 From Outer Space.'  Chose the name chiefly because the movie won the Golden
Turkey Award for all-time worst film.  It is (indirectly) the source of my
favorite quote--Clive James reviewed it and said: "To make movies like this
takes more than just lack of money and lack of time; it takes the lack of
that special something extra."
Think the drive-thru is Right Up There when it comes to significant US
contributions to humanity  (I'm not kidding!  I LOVE them. Drive-thru banking
has got to be the best.) Don't eat chocolate, get occasional migraines, am
passionate about cats, favorite animal is the cheetah.  Prefer to wear
sunglasses.  Love tinkering with machines to find out how they work, love
computers and the internet.  Dislike people who take pleasure in making
others feel bad, am thrilled when people take the plunge and pursue a dream.
Like sideways humor, eg, this from Miles Kington who used to do a teeny tiny
ponderings column, about a billion years ago, in the Times, called
"Moreover."(the only part of the paper I would read I'm sorry to say):

HITCH-HIKING: YOU WRITE...

Is that scruffy figure at the motorway entrance a fascinating companion for a
ride
or a threat to your life?  Some points from your letters...

-From the Bishop of Outer Manchester
   -Sir, I have only twice in my life picked up a hitch-hiker.  The first
time -was as a theological student thirty-five years ago, when I gave a lift
to a young man on the A1. I was rather nervous as I had some valuable church
silver on the back seat.  On the other hand, I felt it was my duty as a
Christian.
   -I am afraid to say that on a lonely stretch of road the youth pulled a
knife on me and forced me to get out.  He took my vintage Austin car, leaving
only the silver which he thought was my luggage.  Since then I have never
picked up another hitch-hiker until last Thursday when I decided that my fear
had gone on long enough and I gave a lift to a very respectable-looking
middle-aged man travelling to Leeds.
   -Imagine my amazement when, during our conversation, he suddenly said:
"That Austin of yours had a really clapped-out gearbox."  It was the same man
again! Before we got to Leeds he pulled a gun on me and took my new Audi.
Luckily, he let me keep my suitcase, which contained several million pounds
in aid for the Third World.

About to start my third (or critical thesis) semester in the MFA in Writing
for Children program at Vermont College.  It's low-residency, which means I
work at home, and that's how I am able to also homeschool Emma.   She started
4th Grade in September.  We may keep on through 6th Grade, if my math holds
out.   :o

On my reading list now is a book by Lemony Snicket called "The Bad
Beginning."  I don't know how it's going to be, but it starts out very
promisingly:

"If you are interested in stories with happy endings, you would be better off
reading some other book.  In this book, not only is there no happy ending,
there is no happy beginning and very few happy things in the middle. This is
because not very many happy things happened in the lives of the three
Baudelaire youngsters Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire were intelligent
children, and they were charming, and resourceful, and had pleasant facial
features, but they were extremely unlucky, and most everything that happened
to them was rife with misfortune, misery, and despair.  I'm sorry to tell you
this, but that is how the story goes."

Emma is chuckling through it as I type; something about a pet weasel
inheriting a fortune, I think.

And there you have it.  My life, in brief, so far.
Less exciting than Gandhi's, but better than a kick in the head.

I'm pooped so
Good Night.

Max. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz