Thanks for Alexlit

Deirdre Behan dbehan at indigo.ie
Sat Dec 11 16:31:54 EST 1999

I've just tried Alexlit for recommendations and I have been amazed and slightly
frightened: I started reading Bujold because of this list and she's their number
one recommendation for me. They also recommend Neal Stephenson, Jane Austen,
Susan Cooper and Neil Gaiman. I haven't read Gaiman but the others are people I
read all the time.

Just going through Alexlit has been quite good for assembling my survey list,
which I realise is hopeless, because I keep adding to it, but it did remind me of
my extreme hatred of Alan Garner - I'm finding that the hardest category to fill
in. (In general I just hate high fantasy so don't read it.) In my mind it was
always Garner vs Cooper, if that's any help to the Cooper debate, which is a
reflection of the time that I read the books - the late 70s.

As regards introductions, I mostly lurk, but my name is Deirdre and I live in
Dublin. I'm 31 and I started out life as a photographer but them got sucked into
the great world of multimedia. At the moment I'm teaching a course in writing for
multimedia in Dublin City University which has been great and has given me an
opportunity to talk to my students about DWJ. I used her in a class where we
talked about where writers get their influences and used the interview from
Charmed Lives where she talks about the war and her realtionship with her parents
(http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/2162/lives/charmed.html). They were
particularly  struck by the way she spoke about her mother. She had been asked if
people she bases her characters on ever recognise themselves, especially the
villains:

"If it's my mother, yes. She's in all of them, actually, and she's always a
villain. And so far, she's not managed to recognise herself at all. She says
sadly, "Oh, there's always an evil older woman in these." I intend her to know. I
hope she does."

And on that note I shall go back to assembling my survey.

Deirdre