Freedom & Necessity (Was RE: Susan Cooper)

CCHANG at trailing-edge.com CCHANG at trailing-edge.com
Fri Dec 10 13:59:18 EST 1999

I've read both F&N and _Sorcery and Cecilia_. I liked both of them
while I was reading them, but I enjoyed S&C more. S&C feels "warmer"
to me. To me, it seems friendlier. It's similar to why I prefer
Robin McKinley's _Beauty_ to _Rose Daughter_.

And, linking to the Dahl thread, I've always found his stuff
"colder", too. I never want to re-read any of it. It's too
cruel. Makes me want to help the characters realize that their
real enemy, the person who's REALLY tormenting them, is their
author. I have an urge to give them to Grant Morrison, who should
be operating an "abused characters shelter" or something...
I thought his "Coyote Gospels" story (in Animal Man, a comic book...)
was absolutely brilliant. Wile E. Coyote finally tries to escape
his frame of reference.

One of the reasons I like DWJ's books is that her characters get
themselves into trouble. It doesn't feel like the author is unfairly
piling difficulties onto them. (Fair difficulties are great...)

Celeste Chang
cchang at trailing-edge.com