Freedom & Necessity (Was RE: Susan Cooper)

Fri Dec 10 00:46:10 EST 1999

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999 19:01:25 -0500 , McMullin, Elise wrote:

>	Now, it has been a while since I read Sorcery and Cecelia - and I
>have recently discovered that in some kind of fit of total idiocy, I gave my
>copy away somewhere, somehow

I need to steal the one my in-laws have.  They are complete barbarians when
it comes to books.  They destroyed UTTERLY volume 2 of the Belgariad, and
yeah it's not like I'm that attached to the series any more, but it makes
the set look odd, and some of my other books just completely disappeared
from that house.  Frightening.

>- but I thought F&N owed some facets of its
>underlying structure to that; epistolary, two couples, English setting by
>Minneapolis Scribblies, albeit not riffing on the Regency genre (riffing on
>a more Dickensian theme? dunno) - eh, maybe it's just superficial.

I think a lot of it is superficial.  But it's been a while since I read
either book, so what do I know?  Well, I do know that Brust and Bull have a
different (and I think more elegant) style than Stevermer and Wrede.

>	I tentatively concluded that Brust and Bull had written it in the
>same way - by writing to each other in various personas -personae?-  and
>basically building the story by feeling their way into it.  I concluded this
>because there are some things in the narrative that were presented like
>potential directions for the story, but didn't wind up being really built
>on.

I think so too.  I figure they wrote back and forth and then discussed how
they were going to change things or add things.

>	Which reminds me.  I just read Lady Susan by Jane Austen - an
>epistolary novella I hadn't read before - that might be fun to read next to
>F&N or Sorcery & Cecilia - note to Hallie!

I need to read that.  I bought a copy of the Juvenilia about a year ago and
I've never even looked at it.  Duh.

>	P.S. What is Alexlit?

Oooh, corrupting another person!

Alexlit is short for the Alexandria Digital Literature web site.  They sell
electronic fiction, but they also have one of the best reading recommenders
anywhere.  You go in and rate how well you liked a number of books, and
based on this and the ratings of other patrons, it tells you what else you
might like to read and how well you'll like it.  The URL is:

www.alexlit.com

There are over 50,000 titles in the database, but you really only have to
rate about 200 before you start getting concrete recommendations.  It is
wonderful!  I have discovered SO many great books through this site!

Melissa Proffitt