Cooper and DWJ's optimism

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Thu Dec 9 16:22:15 EST 1999

Mallory wrote:

>(And the only other genuinely funny one I can think of are children's
>writers - snipped - or Rosemary Wells)

Oh Yes! I'd never have thought of Rosemary Wells and DWJ, but couldn't
agree more.  Worth borrowing a passing young child to read her to.  Cara
(my 9-year-old) still has a doll named Eleanor, after the doll in _Hazel's
Amazing Mother_.  And the Max books are hilarious - and _Shy Charles_, and
the Bunny Planet books.

Now that you mention it, that same kind of humour might be in _The Three
Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig_ (author?  escapes me.)  or even _The
Story of Ferdinand_.

Nice connection!

Hallie
hallieod at indigo.ie