Cooper and DWJ's optimism --watch for SPOILER ALERT

Loehr, Mallory mloehr at randomhouse.com
Thu Dec 9 08:49:39 EST 1999

I think the biggest thing that separates DWJ from almost all other authors
of complex fantasy is her sense of humor. Most of her books are terribly
funny, and in a very real way (rather than the mean Dahl way). In fact few
writers of any kind of books are as genuinely, humanly, funny as DWJ in good
form. (And the only other genuinely funny one I can think of are children's
writers--Ellen Raskin and Louis Sacher for example, and even picturebook
writers--Chris Rashka or Rosemary Wells) The humor lightens everything, so
that even though her books can be darker than others the overall feeling is
one of hope...yes? For example, in Witch Week, there is the hysterically
funny Simon Says epidsoe, but there is also the incredibly scary moment when
whathisname burns his finger with a match thinking about how much it would
hurt to burn to death (talk about dark--yikes!). Yet both these episodes fit
into the same book, and do so simply and without conflict. It's stuff like
this, that magic or no, make DWJ books more real and true to life than most
others I've read. What can I say? She's a goddess!