Introductions

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 9 04:32:36 EST 1999

Hi Amanda, and all.

I'm Gili, I'm 25 years old and currently reside in Tel-Aviv, where I work as
an English to Hebrew translator for a daily newspaper (Ha'aretz), am
seperatly translating the Harry Potter books for a book press owned by the
major competing newspaper (Yediot Aharonot), and am still hoping to someday
break into the theatre world as a director. I dropped out of this list for a
couple of months while I was directing a play at the only fringe theatre
festival in Israel - it was unfortunately a miserable experience for various
boring reasons.

My first DWJ book was "Charmed Life", which I checked out of the British
Council Library in Jerusalem when I was seven. I was quite the bookworm but
only liked reading in English, which sometimes made it difficult for me to
find good books in Israel, especially pre-internet.

While I was growing up I was shuttled a lot back and forth between Israel
and the States, so I have lived in many places: Cambridge Mass. at 2, Oregon
(Eugene) at 5, California (Stanford and Palo Alto) at 10, Pittsburgh at 14;
and, for two months in second grade, Cambridge England. And recently spent
another two years in Cambridge as a visiting undergraduate at Harvard, where
for some reason I never ended up meeting Deborah, though we went as far as
to set a meeting place (Uno's). So by 12 grade I had attended 10 different
schools, and my degree (in dramaturgy) will be from 3 different universities
(Hebrew U., Tel-Aviv U. and Harvard).

I had many favorite authors growing up, but few that I still enjoy as much
today other than DWJ. I did like Dahl a lot, but I recently saw the movie
version of Matilda and was utterly horrified by it, so that might have worn
off a bit... I think the books I've always enjoyed most have been those
categorised as children's book. I loved the Dr. Doolite books, E. Nesbitt,
the Narnia chronicles, Noel Streatfield, Joan Aiken, read all the Andrew
Lang fairy books, the Earthsea books, etc. etc. An old favorite I've never
seen mentioned here is George McDonald's "The Princess and the Goblin". I
wonder if I would still like it today - it was a bit dark. The sequel, "The
Princess and Curdie", scared me. I think I have a problem with apocalyptic
books - I don't like "The Last Battle" either, despite loving most of Narnia
- and that might be part of my dislike for Susan Cooper. I remember I used
to have the idea that British authors are better than American. This could
be because I did all my reading in the British Council Library...

Asides from that I am a collector of Oz books, less so now than in the past,
and know far too much about Oz and Baum. I have copies of "The Wizard of Oz"
in 15 different languages - mostly I love the different illustrations.
(There used to be a "Jodel" - actually, a Joyce if I remember - on the Ozzy
Digest - you're not she, are you?

And I love cats. I'm sure DWJ does too, you can tell by her wonderful cat
characters.

So that's me, in a nutshell...

Gili