dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #93

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Wed Dec 8 15:01:18 EST 1999

Ok, if I were to post my 60-odd pages (and they are odd, all
right) on this very topic, and put them on my website somewhere,
would people read them?  I don't want to post them if people will
just make fun of me for being such a postmodernist.  ;)

-deborah
deborah at suberic.net
--
What does it matter whether we hang,
If we've learned a little wisdom?	-- _Jade_, Sally Watson

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:

|I was thinking about Sophie's magic gift, and how her particular brand of
|magic seems to be common to many different DWJ characters, though different
|explanations are given for this in different books.
|
|Take Tanaquil, who weaves reality - at some point it is no longer clear
|whether she weaves what happens, or what happens is what she weaves.
|
|Or Polly and Tom's stories in Fire and Hemlock.
|
|Or the enchanted typewriter in Archer's Goon.
|
|Or Abdullah's daydreams in Castle in the Air - note his foreknowledge of the
|genie in the bottle.
|
|And I forgot the name of the girl in Witch Week with the storytelling gift.
|Or for that matter, the curse on Simon.
|
|Anyone who has read many DWJ knows that when something is mentioned as a
|legend or a dream, it is always going to crop up as some form of reality.
|
|I'm sure there are more examples of this type of magic in DWJ - telling a
|story and then having it come true. I think this is because DWJ herself is a
|teller of stories, and feels the power of being able to create a world
|through inventing it. Her stories would not exist if she were not telling
|them.
|
|And perhaps what rises out of many of her books is that we write the scripts
|for our lives, in our perceptions of others and attitudes towards ourselves.
|Which is quite different of course from the fatalism of Susan Cooper, and
|brings me back on-topic and full-circle to some of my first posts away back
|when this list was young.
|
|This post took a long time to write. Sigh.
|
|Gili

|--