Brava Melissa and Hi Amanda

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Wed Dec 8 14:57:58 EST 1999

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Amanda Farrell wrote:

|It would appear that you all know each other very well, and I
|feel rather as if I'm intruding. As an avid reader of DWJ for the
|past 12 years ( I discovered her whilst homeless one freezing
|winter, hanging out in the library for warmth!) and due for my
|annual reread imminently, I would be very disappointed if that's
|the case. Please reassure me that new people are welcome even if
|they don't know all the gossip!

As the list moderator, I hereby insist that you send me the names
of any people who make you feel uncomfortable, and I will
immediately lock them in a room with nothing to read but the
latest "animorphs" and "pokemon" books.

Seriously, insults, flaming and meanness are forbidden on this
list, and if anyone sees any such, and I don't seem to notice,
let me know right away and I'll boot the offender off.  But
Amanda, I suspect you're not talking about that, but about the
more subtle discomfort of coming into a list where people have
made friends.  Please, come and be welcomed!  We always love to
meet new people.

I wonder if I could write a script  that takes email with the
subject header "introduction" or some such, and archives it
separately, so when new people come we can send them there  to
meet all of us. would people think that was a good idea?  (Yes I
know the email list archives are totally out of date.  I should
be fixing that Real Soon Now.)

As for me, I'm a 26 year old computer systems administrator with
a brand-new masters degree in children's literature already
gathering dust.  ;)  Injuries in my hands have slowed my updates
of the web page (and have made me very very bad about responding
to email on the list) but I'm coming back up to speed.  One of my
roommates is teaching me some tricks which should make the web
page very nice.

-deborah
deborah at suberic.net
--
In plain then, what forbids he but to know,
Forbids us good, forbids us to be wise?   -- Paradise Lost