Brava Melissa and Hi Amanda

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Dec 8 10:22:25 EST 1999

Oh dear.  I had to interrupt my work in progress (on the response to
Melissa) to answer Amanda's post.  I'm sure I'll only be the first of many
to say that it was very upsetting to hear that anyone felt ignored,
unwelcome or like running away.  This is really what I was trying to get at
when I added the bit at the end of my last post, reassuring newcomers that
people on this list do NOT insult or down-put, simply because someone likes
or dislikes a book which they do not.

I'm saying this, NOT because I feel myself to be part of some inner circle,
know or be known very well by everyone on this list, or feel that you are
intruding (especially not the latter).  It is simply because I have seen
(over the roughly six months I've been on the list) people being respectful
in agreement or disagreement, interested in new people, and just generally
nice.  And this is very much true despite the fact that I have regularly
felt that my posts have been far from pearls of wisdom!

In terms of your original post, FWIW, I didn't happen to answer only
because I had an extremely traumatic few days back there, and when I did
get back near the computer, didn't particularly feel I had anything to
offer re Susan Cooper.  Not that I hate her, or would be insulted if I did,
just simply that I really had no very informed or strong opinion on her.
(Now in six months time, I may well have re-read the books, with a lot of
list member's ideas firmly in mind, and I might feel I had something to
contribute, or ponder, or ask other people's opinions on.  Or not.)  It was
certainly nothing to do with being unwelcoming, or feeling you'd intruded,
and I'm sure lots of other people who didn't post in reply would have some
similar type of reasons.

As for the make-up of the list, there are probably more people in the
States (? correct me if I'm wrong on that, someone), but quite a few from
the UK, 3 neighbours from Dublin (I'm one of these and my daughter is
another), several in Australia, and, I'm sure I'll forget or mix up a few,
also at least one in Canada, New Zealand, The Netherlands and now Denmark
(friendly greetings again!).   And that's merely my faulty memory of those
who have identified their homelands.  I'm sure there are plenty of others.

But if there IS gossip, and I just don't know about it, and have been
excluded, then I take back all the nice things I just said about the rest
of yez! :-)

Hallie
hallieod at indigo.ie