Brava Melissa and Hi Amanda

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Wed Dec 8 09:10:19 EST 1999

> It would appear that you all know each other very well, and I feel rather
> as if I'm intruding. As an avid reader of DWJ for the past 12 years
> ( I discovered her whilst homeless one freezing winter, hanging out in the
> library for warmth!) and due for my annual reread imminently, I would be
> very disappointed if that's the case. Please reassure me that new people
> are welcome even if they don't know all the gossip!

Ouch!

Yes, please feel very welcome.  In a week or two, you too will be treating us -
and being treated - as if you know us all very well!  The latest gossip is not
that important.  Most threads only last a few days, and if they go on longer,
that's what archives are for! (i.e. we've forgotten too).

> The idea of collating information sounds great to me, and provided I'm still
> here, I'd love to participate. Am I right in assuming that most of this list
> come from USA? Any more Brits out there?

Yes, I'm a Brit.  Born in Bristolia, grew up on the Flate, now living not far
from the South Dales :-)

> I'm looking forward to many more discussions on things both DWJ and not
> DWJ in the future!

You've come to the right place.

***********************

While I'm here, it occurs to me that the comment that DWJ would never make a
silly mistake like saying a ten-year-old was in his tenth year is close to one
of the reasons I like her work.  She is one of a very few authors (Georgette
Heyer was another) whose work is very well researched, but she doesn't flaunt
the research in our faces, as say Caroline Courtney (Georgette Heyer imitation.
Not bad IMHO, but if you've never encountered her, don't bother searching!)
would do.  (There also exist writers who flaunt the research in our faces even
when they haven't done it properly.  But that's another matter)

Philip.

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.

Nottingham, NG11 0EE, UK