Masefield

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Mon Dec 6 22:21:25 EST 1999

On Fri, 3 Dec 1999 JOdel at aol.com wrote:

> BTW, has anyone else noticed how much of the atmosphere of DARK
> seems to have been lifted wholesale from (John) Masefield's The Box
> of Delights?

I've never noticed it. But then, I've only read tBoD once, and DARK
never.

> That and his earlier The Midnight Folk are a couple of bizarre books
> if there ever were such!

I believe the word is "whimsical", at least for The Midnight Folk.
tBoD is darker, IIRC, so bizarre might apply better there.

> But he has some very interesting bits and pieces scattered through
> them.

Oh, yeah. :)

> I"m pretty sure they date from the '20s or '30s.

1927 for The Midnight Folk. Don't have a copy of tBoD I can check.

Paul
--
The morning lesson was History. After several hours learning about
Odo, Kay found himself wishing he'd walk in and say, "I'm Odo", so