MacAvoy

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Thu Dec 2 20:58:52 EST 1999

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999 Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk wrote:

> Yes.  Tea with the Black Dragon is very good.  The sequel, Twisting
> the Rope, is less good, but still worth reading.  Other MacAvoy:
> Damiano is excellent; the trilogy goes downhill with Damiano's Lute
> and (IMHO) crashes with Raphael.

One of the great things about this list is I never seem to find myself
disagreeing with anyone. :)

Of the others I've read, I really liked The Grey Horse, but I never
really got into The Book of Kells. About the only interesting bit in
that, for me, was when the protagonist 'borrows' something from Anne
McCaffrey.

> To me, the interesting thing about _Tea_ is that MacAvoy does the
> opposite of a lot of good fantasy: <This could be a spoiler> where a
> lot of fantasy takes an ordinary everyday character, and explores
> how he/she responds to a fantastical situation, MacAvoy takes a
> fantastical character and places him in a story which could
> otherwise be regarded as straight adventure, rather than fantasy.

That's a very good way of putting it, actually.

> <This is definitely a spoiler>
 .
 .
 .
 .
 .
 .
 .
 .
 .
 .
 .
 .
 .
 .
 .
 .
 .
 .
 .

> The fantastical status of Mr Long (whose name was spoiled for me by
> my knowing the Pin Yin spelling of a particular Chinese character
> (symbol, not person)) is confirmed by his (well, presumably it's
> meant to be him) appearance in Raphael.  But to me the two versions
> of the character (person, not symbol) have a very nebulous
> connection at best.

I don't think it's meant to be the same character. When I read it, I
just went "Oh, the author's using black dragons again", and left it at
that.

Paul
--
"...the greater part of my wardrobe is black... it's a sensible
 colour. It goes with anything. Well, anything black."