MacAvoy

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Thu Dec 2 16:25:29 EST 1999

Paula wrote:

>I've a list of favorite books at http://www.flash.net/~pburch/favbooks.html.
>Does anyone else here have such a list online? If so, I'd like to see....

Well, I for one, certainly haven't, but we were throwing out a lot of other
author recs. on the list a few months ago, and I could probably pop a lot
of them together and send them to you, if you'd like.  I'd guess that was
well after the list stopped going into the archives, but maybe before you
discovered it?

On MacAvoy, I got Tea with the Black Dragon on a recommendation from
someone on this list, and also liked it a lot, but found Twisting the Rope
less appealing.  I WAS in the middle of Damiano's Lute, but found it quite
put-asideable when I got hold of a copy of Komarr (Bujold being another
rec. from the list).

I heartily second your "reading-aloud" sentiments.  I'm reading Sorcery and
Cecelia (the last list-recommended book I'll mention tonight, I promise!)
to Becca (my 13-year-old), which is brilliant fun. (Just tonight, I noticed
how like an older Sophie (I mean older - not spell-affected) Lady Sylvia
is.)  My nine-year old is getting Rosemary Sutcliff's Eagle of the Ninth.
I don't think anyone on the list has ever talked about Sutcliff, except for
me, but this book is a long-time favourite.  Any book which can be read and
re-read in childhood, read to one child and then read to the next, and
still be enjoyed has got to be a winner!

Hallie
hallieod at indigo.ie