In which H. Potter is Defended (sort of)

Loehr, Mallory mloehr at randomhouse.com
Thu Dec 2 15:43:32 EST 1999

I have a certain degree of anger toward the harry Potter penomenon, most of
which is because DWJ does a lot of the same stuff in the Chrestomanci books
and a bazillion times better. However, try to imagine how you'd feel about
Harry Potter if it *wasn't* such a big seller. And also remember that this
is the author's *first* book. All the points you make are valid but I just
don't think that the book really merits quite this level of venom (although
i do understand it). The media hype that has surrounded it maybe does... but
Ms. Rowling has been relatively humble about the whole thing and doesn't
claim to understand the hubbub any more than anyone else. It is disgusting
that there are all these grown-ups out there now singing the praises of HP
when they haven't picked up any other kids' books(or reread any) in at least
the last 10 years (if only they knew what they were missing). I mean even if
one is so unlucky to have missed DWJ, there's still Alexander, Lewis,
Cooper, L'Engle, McKinley, etc. etc. etc. Now I've started ranting. the real
points are that I think people should look at HP for its own merits/faults
separate from the media drama, recognize that this is a new author, and
also, if it makes you feel any better Elise, some of the problems you
pointed out (again, validly!) begin to be addressed in books 2 & 3.
over and out,
Mallory