MacAvoy

Amanda Farrell geminii at dial.pipex.com
Thu Dec 2 15:03:33 EST 1999

----------
From: 	Paul Andinach[SMTP:pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au]
Sent: 	02 December 1999 07:16
To: 	dwj at suberic.net
Subject: 	Re: MacAvoy

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Paula Burch wrote:

> One sort-of-fantasy but difficult-to-categorize author I haven't
> seen mentioned here whom I found very enjoyable is R.A. MacAvoy,
> starting with Tea with the Black Dragon.

I second the recommendation of _Tea With the Black Dragon_.

Tea With the Black Dragon is good, but has anyone read Susan Cooper? Her "Dark is Rising" series is fantastic and in my estimation equals some of DWJ. Her themes are universal but the telling of the story is spellbinding. From a pretty good if run-of-the-mill good v.evil first volume, the series escalates in both skill and tension, climaxing in an absolutely blinding final novel. It's categorised as children's fiction, and the main characters like DWJ are children, but there are deeper levels which are compelling.... try it if you haven't already, she ranks as joint favourite with DWJ on my list!
  Amanda