MacAvoy

Paula Burch pburch at bcm.tmc.edu
Thu Dec 2 12:49:49 EST 1999

> Yes.  Tea with the Black Dragon is very good.  The sequel, Twisting
> the Rope, is less good, but still worth reading.  Other MacAvoy:
> Damiano is excellent; the trilogy goes downhill with Damiano's Lute
> and (IMHO) crashes with Raphael.

I gave away my copies of the books in the Damiano trilogy, as it didn't
have the lifetime-favorite quality of the others by MacAvoy, though
they're worth one or two readings. I also didn't much care for The Third
Eagle. However, her others are just splendid: The Grey Horse, The Book of
Kells, and the Lens of the World trilogy. Sorry, I think that all of
these are out of print, but they're well worth looking for.

> To me, the interesting thing about _Tea_ is that MacAvoy does the
> opposite of a lot of good fantasy: <This could be a spoiler> where a
> lot of fantasy takes an ordinary everyday character, and explores how
> he/she responds to a fantastical situation, MacAvoy takes a fantastical
> character and places him in a story which could otherwise be regarded
> as straight adventure, rather than fantasy.  The result is a very
> interesting synthesis.

The Grey Horse does the same with a very different type of mythological
character. The Book of Kells is based more on a fantastical situation,
but has much the same feel. I strongly recommend them both to all of
you. The Lens of the World trilogy I can't even begin to characterize,
though it's a favorite of mine. Maybe someone else can?

Philip, I hadn't even noticed the detail you mentioned in your spoiler!
Silly me.

I've a list of favorite books at http://www.flash.net/~pburch/favbooks.html.
Does anyone else here have such a list online? If so, I'd like to see....
(Of course I started the list just as an excuse to have a place to put
the books I was planning to order from amazon anyway on a web page
so I could click through directly and get the 20% kick-back on my own
book purchases. :-))

--
Paula Burch
pburch at bcm.tmc.edu