MacAvoy

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Thu Dec 2 12:05:25 EST 1999

>> One sort-of-fantasy but difficult-to-categorize author I haven't
>> seen mentioned here whom I found very enjoyable is R.A. MacAvoy,
>> starting with Tea with the Black Dragon.
>
> I second the recommendation of _Tea With the Black Dragon_.

Yes.  Tea with the Black Dragon is very good.  The sequel, Twisting the Rope, is
less good, but still worth reading.  Other MacAvoy:  Damiano is excellent; the
trilogy goes downhill with Damiano's Lute and (IMHO) crashes with Raphael.

To me, the interesting thing about _Tea_ is that MacAvoy does the opposite of a
lot of good fantasy: <This could be a spoiler> where a lot of fantasy takes an
ordinary everyday character, and explores how he/she responds to a fantastical
situation, MacAvoy takes a fantastical character and places him in a story which
could otherwise be regarded as straight adventure, rather than fantasy.  The
result is a very interesting synthesis.

<This is definitely a spoiler>
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
The fantastical status of Mr Long (whose name was spoiled for me by my knowing
the Pin Yin spelling of a particular Chinese character (symbol, not person)) is
confirmed by his (well, presumably it's meant to be him) appearance in Raphael.
But to me the two versions of the character (person, not symbol) have a very
nebulous connection at best.

This is getting rather confused on rereading so I'd better stop...

Philip.

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.

Nottingham, NG11 0EE, UK