UK edition of 5th Elephant

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Thu Dec 2 09:40:57 EST 1999

> I've been told (by other booksellers) that Amazon is selling
> everything below cost to drive other online and local booksellers out
> of business... and this has caused some people to boycott them.  But
> at least for now it results in good prices for us.

I wonder if this is true, or whether it is just a spiteful rumour...

I have heard of people browsing through the shelves of their local bookshop,
taking down details of good books and then ordering from Amazon.

I, on the other hand, look up books on Amazon and then take the details to my
local bookshop.  Not to boycott Amazon, simply because I think the local
bookshop needs supporting (and I go to the same church as the proprietor).  And
(to bring this back on topic) in the case of DWJ's Puss in Boots, this was
cheaper.

> If you're looking for rare books in general, try www.bookfinder.com.
> Their search engine queries about six sites that are nothing but
> interfaces between people and rare/used book dealers (like abebooks or
> bibliofind).  I've had good luck with them.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll have a look.

Philip.

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.

Nottingham, NG11 0EE, UK