introduction

Wed Dec 1 14:47:17 EST 1999

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999 08:05:50 +0800 (WST), Paul Andinach wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

>> Oooh, I think you will like them.  What bugs me is that it's really
>> hard to find a list of the series in order.
>
>What bugs *me* is that it's really hard to find copies of the early
>books. I've have to resort to the Chivers Audio versions. Mind you,
>Ian Carmichael does such a good Lord Peter that that's not really a
>disadvantage.

I've managed to find almost all of them.  I think I'm missing _Whose Body?_
which I personally found interesting because it places more emphasis on Lord
Peter as a bibliophile than the later books do.  In most ways, it's very
different from the later books in the series.

>This is the order I've been told:
>
>Whose Body?
>Clouds of Witness
>The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club
>Lord Peter Views The Body[*]
>Strong Poison
>Five Red herrings
>Have His Carcase
>Murder Must Advertise
>Hangman's Holiday
>The Nine Tailors
>Gaudy Night
>Busman's Honeymoon
>In the Teeth of the Evidence
>Striding Folly
>
>and then _Thrones, Dominations_, which was written recently by
>somebody else, and which I've not heard good things about.

Me neither.  That order is accurate...though for some reason _Nine Tailors_
was NOT published in the edition I have, and isn't listed with the other
books.  I have no idea, after reading it, why it was left out.  But when I
was first trying to find the series, I had to check them out from the
library and look at the publication dates to get a chronological order.
Tedious.

>> My baby brother (okay, he's nine) has for school something called a Jonra
>> wheel.  I have no idea what this is, but from context I gather that it has
>> to do with reading different classes of books, like nonfiction and myth and
>> so forth.
>
>Then it's a Genre Wheel, presumably. Or has he actually been told it's
>spelled "jonra"?

I don't know.  My mother sent me email asking about a certain book and how I
would classify it.  It's likely she's never seen it written either, and
given how people mangle pronunciation...genre would make more sense.  I
assumed (as I think she did) that it was a reading program named after
someone named Jonra. :)

>> I suggested _Eight Days of Luke_ for his Myth requirement--it may
>> have to be an actual book of myths, but I don't know.  Anyway,
>> _Luke_ was an obvious choice, but are there any other DWJ books that
>> you would consider a direct treatment of mythology?
>
>Direct treatment of mythology? Not that I can think of. Wholesale
>plunder of useful mythological elements is more common.

That's what I'm thinking.

Melissa Proffitt