DWJ short stories

PREISIG, Kylie Kylie.Preisig at qed.qld.gov.au
Tue Aug 31 19:46:37 EDT 1999

What to people think of her short stories?

After my slamming short story writers in general in a previous post, I
started thinking about DWJ's short stories.

She doesn't try to be clever/arty/depressing, but most of her short stories
don't grab me.  They have some interesting ideas, but I think she needs more
time to expand them, and more time to expand her characters as well.

There are some exceptions.  I just love "The True State of Affairs".  "The
Sage of Theare" wasn't bad, but I suspect everyone likes that because it has
Chrestomanci in it :)  I quite liked "A Plauge of Peacocks" - I must hunt up
a quote from that for the quotation generator - something like "It hurts to
be crucified!"

In general, I think her short stories range from very averge to quite good,
and her novels are a cut above them.

Byeeeee,
Kylie