other authors to compare to DWJ

Tue Aug 31 16:21:50 EDT 1999

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999 02:15:15 PDT, Paul Barnier wrote:

>I don't know if this counts as an "author" but I can recommend the Japanese
>animator Hayao Miyazaki. A good deal of his works is now available or will
>be available in English and as far as I am aware is even available in
>supermarket chains as well as "anime" specialty stores.

I think he's at least as much an author as Neil Gaiman was before he wrote
"real" novels.  And Hayao Miyazaki is just great at what he does.  My kids
love Kiki's Delivery Service--well, so do I, naturally.  (But it makes me
miss Phil Hartman terribly; he was one of my favorite actors.)

>and personal responsibility and freedom. Interestingly (compared to DWJ) his
>main characters are almost always girls. When asked why he said that female
>heroes where more interesting and multifaceted than if a predictable male
>hero was in the same role.

I find that VERY interesting.  It's true, but I'd never thought of it in
that way before.  To slip into feminist rhetoric briefly, if women are
marginalized, that means that a woman in the main role is unknown,
unexpected and hence unpredictable.  Cool.

We still haven't found Castle in the Sky yet.

Melissa Proffitt
(who answers email by letting her children romp unsupervised in the game
cupboard and make an unholy mess...)