other authors to compare to DWJ

McMullin, Elise mcmullea at kl.com
Tue Aug 31 14:52:39 EDT 1999

> Paul Barnier wrote:
> |I don't know if this counts as an "author" but I can recommend the
> Japanese
> |animator Hayao Miyazaki."

	I'll definitely be looking for his work, too.  Thank you Paul.

	I've got one that is much further afield than Paul's recommendation,
but it may be worthwhile.  One of the main things I love about dwj is just
the vividness of her storytelling.  Not only can I picture it, but I feel
like I'm there and I can taste it or smell it too. And without being
sentimental, the stories really move me.

	So, I am as large a fan of the band Dead Can Dance (and the solo
career of the band's female singer Lisa Gerrard) as I am of dwj.  For much
the same reasons as I like dwj too.  There's something that really moves me
about most of their music. Also, whenever I sit back and quiet down to
listen, I have these really vivid stories spring to life in my mind out of
nowhere (the Tao?), inspired by the music.  It's like magic.  I've heard a
number of other DCD listeners say the same about stories springing into
their minds.  Well, musical taste is a chancy thing - maybe even moreso than
with books and some of their songs do get sentimental, but it's storytelling
music really so it's worth mentioning.

	I'd recommend The Mirror Pool by Lisa Gerrard and maybe Within the
Realm of a Dying Sun by D.C.D. to start.

	Elise

	"I have a son.  His name is Eden. It's his birthright... beyond a
strange time."
	--- Dead Can Dance  ;)