Intros and that sixth degree thingie

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Tue Aug 31 13:00:42 EDT 1999

Well, I have a connection to the last three new members.  Becca, of course
(she's standing behind me as I write, brushing my hair and babbling).
Deirdre, as I also live in Dublin (hi, Deirdre), and Antonia as I moved
back to Dublin from Tucson.

Thanks for your welcome to Becca, Sally.  She's already answered it, but
the reason you didn't read my intro is that I didn't write one.  I hope
this isn't a major contravention of the polite rules of net society (Becca
just informed me that this is called netiquette).  I guess I should
re-trace my steps and do it now.

I'm pretty much a mongrel.  My dad was Irish (from Cork, Tanaqui, if I'm
reading that UCC.ie correctly), my mum is American, and we lived in Dublin
most of the time until he died, when I was 7.  Then we were in Maryland for
three years, until Mum re-married and we came back here.  I did a degree in
Science - pushed away from the literary background of my dad by my
stepfather.  I was nothing if not dutiful and insecure!  Then I went to the
States for Graduate School in biochemistry and nutrition.  Loved the
nutrition, but hated what I would have had to do with it, so I left Grad
School and of all things, taught GED classes (that's the high school
equivalency exam).  Oh yes, I was married at this stage.  Hubby and almost
all of our friends were PhD students, so my general feeling of
out-of-stepness grew apace.  Becca was born in Ithaca, and then we moved
around for various post-doc positions.  Durham NC first, where I couldn't
find any decent child-care, so stopped working, Memphis, and finally
Tucson.

I still remember the moment that it dawned on me that having a baby meant
the chance to share all those wonderful books I'd loved as a child.  Sheer
bliss. Once we got past the million or so readings of Dr. Seuss, Good
Night, Moon etc., that is. (Not that they're not wonderful, just that a
child's capacity for endless re-reading is so momumentally larger than most
adults'!).  I discovered The Read-Aloud Handbook when Becca was about one,
and loved the suggestion that reading aloud didn't have to be only for
pre-readers.  So we just never stopped.  That gave me the excuse I didn't
really need to keep adding new kid/YA books to my known favourites list.
Hence my discovery of DWJ, just a few years ago.

Deirdre, I'm certainly with you in wonder at how quickly other people
manage to write to this - so elegantly too!  I regularly plod away for
ages, realize it's too late at night to continue, and either send it off in
despair, or queue it.  Usually the latter is a big mistake, as I'll be even
more dissatisfied with it the next day, and it'll take longer to edit than
it did to write.  I have an unfinished post on Seb/Mordion, which I'll
probably never be satisfied with, one to Judith on her Harry Potter
article, and haven't even started my response to the Ending of Fire and
Hemlock - except in my head! And just since this morning there are so many
great new letters coming in.

Hallie
hallieod at indigo.ie