dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #70

Nat Case hedberg at vermontel.net
Tue Aug 31 12:12:50 EDT 1999

Melissa: excellent response, and much food for thought. Seconded all around!

One of the things I want to explore in the essays I'm now putting on a front
burner (thanks all for getting me back interested in this stuff) is the
relationship between the fiction we read as a younger reader and the fiction
we allow ourselves to read as an adult.

As an example, I loved the Black Stallion books (or in any case the first 3
or 4) when I was 8 or 9. I went back and read them in high school, and they
were godawful. But then I went to see the first movie, and even though the
plot was a little rearranged, THERE IT WAS! The book I'd loved as a younger
reader.

I think as a new reader, and indeed as a new experiencer of the arts in
general, we work more from the sheer experience (and what that exactly means
is what I want to get into more). As we get older and experience more arts,
that experience is tempered by, as Melissa says, a stacking of experiences.
Where I think we get into trouble is using that experience to judge the art.
I would love to be able to read Black Stallion, and I'd love to be able to
go to school plays and enjoy them as much as the students do. And I'm glad
to not have gone so far in my growing up that I can't enjoy these great
books we're talking about here.

Nat Case
Hedberg Maps, Inc.